“I love Plato": fans of the classics
This activity aims to stimulate young people to appreciate the classic authors of philosophy, of the Latin language and of the Greek language, building fandom pages, typical of convergence culture. Students are asked to create a fan page dedicated to a classic author using Facebook or another web application.
- Social Media
- Create and modify written productions
- Use writing software and apps
- Create and modify drawings and designs
- Use drawing and design tools
- Create and modify photographic productions
- Use photographic and editing tools
- Create and modify audiovisual productions
- Use filming and editing tools
- Search, select and download
- Manage content archives
- Manage content dissemination and sharing
- Participate in social media
NARRATIVE AND AESTHETIC
- Religion and Ethics
- Social Sciences
- Computer, tablets, smartphones
- Internet connection
- Text books
- What relevance do classical authors have?
- Are the classical authors attractive to you?
- How can we learn and communicate their strong points?
- How can we update and reframe the thoughts of the classical authors?
The teacher divides the students into 4 groups. Each group chooses a classical author (Plato, Socrates, etc.) and designs a fan page using Facebook, Tumblr, Wix, Wordpress, or any other web application. This page will contain the biography of the author, the main works, but also narrations or episodes about their life, games, songs, quiz and so on. The page is moderated by one or more students. The group also designs a marketing strategy to promote the page. (60’).
Every group presents their fan page to the whole class and then promotes the page for 1 month, encouraging their peers to visit and comment on it (30’).
SESSION 3 (after one month):
The class reflects on the fan pages, talking about the level of participation from their peers. (30’).
The teacher can evaluate the activity through brainstorming or a focus group to explore changes in the level of interest towards the subjects involved in the activity.
Jenkins, H. 2008. Convergence culture: La cultura de la convergencia de los medios de comunicación. Barcelona: Paidós.
Páginas de fans sobre celebridades: https://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Facebook-Fan-Page
Gabriella Taddeo, INDIRE (Italy), firstname.lastname@example.org
Simona Tirocchi, Università degli studi di Torino (Italy), email@example.com
- Social Media