Memetorics (Rhetoric of memes)
This activity introduces participants to the different rhetorical devices by using them in the production of a meme (a viral image)
- Create and modify photographic productions
- Use photography and editing tools
- Create and modify images and design
- Use image and design tools
- Participate in social media
NARRATIVE AND ASTHETICS
- Recognise and describe
- Foreign Languages
- Social Sciences
- Computer or smartphone
- Photo editing app
- What is a rhetorical device?
- Why are they useful?
- How do we use them in everyday communication?
- How can we use them?
- What is viral communication? What’s a meme?
- What do you like about memes?
- Are rhetorical devices important in memes?
At home, students read a list of rhetorical devices with examples from literature and journalism.
In the class the teacher explains the main devices and shows graphic examples (photos, audiovisual, etc.) (10’).
Participants organize themselves into groups and produce memes. Each meme should represent – through a combination of text and image – a rhetorical device. (30’).
There are many websites and mobile apps that allow users to create and download memes. Ask your students or look for them online. (5’).
The activity finishes with an exhibition of the productions and final discussion about rhetorical and viral circulation of information (25’).
Se imprimen todos los memes y se reparten entre los diferentes grupos. Cada grupo debe evaluar un meme a partir de algunos criterios como el uso correcto de la figura retórica, coherencia entre imagen y texto, creatividad, etc.
Carlos A. Scolari. Universitat Pompeu Fabra-Barcelona (Spain), firstname.lastname@example.org