Report the troll
In this activity we will explore the ability to recognize the existence of counter-values in life and democracy, such as intolerance, xenophobia, racism, the use of violence, authoritarianism, and sexist violence. To do this, students must search for evidence of these counter values in their social networks of regular use, summarize them on a Facebook page, and analyse whether they should be reported according to the rules of this platform.
- Social Media
CONTENT MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Search, select and download
SOCIAL MANAGEMENT SKILLS
- Participate in social networks
IDEOLOGY AND ETHICS SKILLS
- Recognize and describe
- Religion and Ethics
- Smartphone or computer
- Internet connection
- What do I think about these messages?
- What can be considered hate speech? Are they racist, homophobic, or antidemocratic messages?
- What can we do to prevent the spread of these messages on the Internet?
- Do social networks offer enough tools to combat hate speech?
- Presentation of the counter values and activity (20').
- Search activity in different social networks that students use in their day to day life. Organized in groups of 4-5 members, students need to find contents that students recognize as counter values (60').
- Construction of a closed Facebook group for the class where the groups present their findings. The students share their findings in the group. In each post they should clarify why they uploaded that content, that is, add a small comment to the post (40'). Students can continue to upload content throughout the week until the next session and should comment on the posts of the other groups.
- The results of the posts are presented and the content of each post is discussed (30').
- The rules of Facebook (30') are analysed as a group.
- The contents are evaluated by group and it is debated whether they should be reported or not (30').
- The number of posts that should be reported out of the total is summarized (30').
Each group needs to decide how many posts should be reported and how many should not, depending on the counter values they find.
Facebook legal terms: https://es-es.facebook.com/legal/terms/update
- Social Media